The Student News Site of Roosevelt High School

EDITOR’S EXCHANGE – New Year’s Resolutions: yay or nay

January 19, 2021

Why you should make a new year’s resolutions

Julia Tully, News/Opinion Editor
‘New year, new me’; The phrase that everyone uses as soon as the clock hits midnight on New Years Eve as a start to their resolutions for the upcoming year.
By definition, a resolution is just a dedication to do, or not do, something. You might want to do things like work out, or go outside more, and you may want to not drink as much pop, or not spend too much time on your phone.
Resolutions don’t have to be anything specific or serious. It can be as simple as wanting to drink more water, or something you really have to work towards, like weight loss. And there’s no shame if you don’t go through with these resolutions, because they weren’t written in stone.
These resolutions are just goals. You are never forced to actually succeed with your resolution, and if, at any point throughout the year, you decide that it isn’t working out, you can just simply make a new goal for yourself, and start working at it right then.
Also, if you make a resolution each year, then you are probably more likely to accomplish whatever goal you had than someone who didn’t make one, because actually making the resolution makes you more dedicated to that specific goal.
Personally, I make a New Year’s resolution(s) every year. Last year, my resolution was to get a job, and start saving for college (even though no amount of money I save will help), which I was able to do successfully. With COVID-19 having started to spread around that time, it was surprisingly easy to get a job, but very stressful to keep with all of the cases and deaths.
The year 2021 is a great year for any resolutions. There was so much crap happening in 2020, that no one really had the energy to focus on huge life goals, so now is the perfect time to get your personal life back on track, and set some new goals for yourself.
Also, what is the harm in making a resolution every year? It’s not like you’re being forced to do something you don’t want to do, you’re just simply making a goal for yourself, which you should be doing everyday anyways in my opinion.
Even if people don’t flat out say ‘my New Year’s resolution is…’, I still believe that most people do have a goal they’d like to accomplish in the next year. Every year people want to lose weight, or be organized, or spend less money, so why not make those resolutions? Dedicate that year to making a change (for the better) in yourself, with goals as simple as those ones.
Your New Year’s resolution should not be for anyone else but yourself. Everything that you’re going to strive to do or not do throughout the next year should be completely up to you, and something that you genuinely want to see a change in.
It’s not too late to come up with your resolution. Just think of something that you really, really, want to have, or do, or not do by the end of this year. If you’ve thought of something, then there you go, there’s your resolution for the year 2021. Make it your best one yet.

View 1 Comment

Why you shouldn’t set New Year’s resolutions

New Year’s: a blank slate, a fresh start, an opportunity to forget the mistakes and failures of the last year and focus on the one ahead. The only problem? Waking up on January 1 is just like any other day of the week. Sure, the numbers at the end of the date change, but it doesn’t feel all that different, because it’s not.
That’s why I hate New Year’s resolutions. The likelihood that you’ll follow up on a promise you made yourself diminishes the moment you realize that the homework you’ve been putting off for the last three days is still due tomorrow, or the dishes you left in the sink last night still need to be cleaned.
I applaud anyone who’s ever followed through on a resolution, because I don’t think I ever have, and I have a feeling most other people haven’t either. It’s definitely easier said than done, though I do think the problem begins with people setting goals they were unlikely to achieve in the first place.
Maybe I’m too pessimistic, or maybe I have the wrong mindset about this kind of thing, but setting goals based on a change in date seems futile to me. I’d compare it to getting engaged on Valentine’s Day. Most likely, you’re not doing it because it’s something you want, but because society pressures you into thinking you should because of the holiday.
We should have goals year-round, and while that might sound obvious, I feel like it’s somewhat uncommon for people to make major life changes without an explicit reason. We’ve learned the hard way that life as you know it can be ripped away from you in an instant. Why not spend money on a gym membership you’re going to use once, not because it’s a new year, but because you never know what tomorrow will bring?
I think we’ve all learned what we really need in the last year. We’ve had plenty of time to reflect on ourselves and what we want, and to prioritize what’s important to us. Without even realizing, we’ve all had a year of self-growth, and there were no resolutions involved.
At the end of the day, I think it all comes down to societal standards, and I think it’s harder to be affected by something like that when we’ve spent so much time isolated, without regular social interaction, physically further away from those around us.
I’m not completely opposed to the idea of a fresh start. While a year is simply a unit of measurement for Earth taking a trip around the sun, I like what it symbolizes. We’re not off to a great start, but I truly hope that this year is better than the last. I know this isn’t the way I envisioned my senior year to be, but I’m trying to make the most of it. You all should too.