Making the switch from WAVE

Advanced chemistry students get back in the lab after being out of school for three months due to COVID-19.

As the second semester began, many students made the decision to switch to the online WAVE program that Wyandotte Public Schools had to offer while other students made the switch back to in-person learning.
“I chose online because I wanted to travel outside the country and work too,” senior Meliana Fernade said.
The WAVE program is an option for all students and many students chose to switch because of COVID-19 and to better suit their schedule, but some students say that virtual learning is more difficult.
Junior Shawn Deleon said, “In person, I learn more from visual learning, but online is more independent and you have to do a lot of self-teaching.”
Students are required to log on to school at least 20 hours per week and email their mentor teacher an updated grade at the end of each week. If students fail to update their teacher three or more times or do not complete 20 hours of schooling, they will not receive credit. WAVE students are also expected to log on five out of the seven days, Saturday and Sunday included, and have to participate in standardized testing in school.
“Going virtual has allowed me to be productive on my own time,” junior Mara Teets said., “It is nice not to be rushed and you can work at your own pace.”
RHS students can complete assignments and turn them in at any time if they are learning virtual, but students who are face-to-face are required to turn in assignments on certain due dates.
When students have questions about the curriculum, they have to email their mentor. This can be stressful for the students because they have to wait for a response versus when students are in person, they receive answers rather quickly.
“The videos assigned for the material sometimes didn’t explain the content very well,” Deleon said., “Now that I am in-person, I get all my questions answered right away.”
Many American high school students are used to learning in a classroom environment, but being at home can be distracting and cause students to be less productive.
“I give credit to the kids who are doing online,” junior Jaedyn Rybicki said., “I tend to focus on other things when I am not in school.”
This school year has been very hard on parents, teachers, and students, but we are all adapting to the new year, whether it’s attending school in-person or online through the WAVE program.