GeoAddicts’ 2022 Roman Conquest

Students can see Soules, Merrifield, or Stiles in their classrooms for an informational packet on the trip and info on the parent and student Zoom meeting Thursday, February 18th.

Worldstrides

Every year, the GeoAddicts visit new and interesting places all around the world; in 2022 they will be visiting not one, but three different countries.
“The trip is called the Roman Conquest. We’re following the Mediterranean, so we’re going to Italy, France, and then Spain,” art teacher and trip sponsor Susi Stiles said.
As the group is traveling to many different places rather than just one country, the price of the trip may be different from past years.
“The trip cost about $4000, but that includes literally everything: food, transportation, hotels, and flights, so you just show up with your suitcase, and everything is taken care of,” science teacher and trip sponsor Melanie Merrifield said.
To help make this money for the trip, the group holds plenty of fundraisers throughout each year leading it.
“There are actually a lot of fundraisers, the two biggest ones are the Dearborn Ham fundraiser right before Thanksgiving and the coffee fundraiser,” English teacher and trip sponsor Sean Soules said. “In addition to that, WorldStrides offer scholarships depending on the income that your house gets.”
GeoAddicts works with a company called WorldStrides to ensure the best experience possible for people on the trip.
“WorldStrides provides us with somebody who is well versed in the landmarks and languages, the tour guide is with us from the moment we get off the plane to the moment we get on the plane,” Soules said.
Even with the COVID-19 pandemic, GeoAddicts and WorldStrides are hopeful to have a successful trip in 2022.
“I’ve been on a few of these trips and I pretty much trust them to make sure it’s at least interesting and fun,” Stiles said. “They may not be able to do all the things that we normally do, but there’s definitely stuff, even if we can’t go into certain places.”
For any students or staff interested in getting involved with GeoAddicts, there are plenty of ways to start off by just seeing any of the sponsors.
“You can see myself, Merrifield, Wymore, and Stiles, one of us will be able to tell you whatever you need to know,” Soules said “There’s an informational meeting on the eighteenth of February at 7 PM on Zoom. Although, you can always see any of us for a handout, with no commitment.”