RHS Teachers, students share concern about rigor in school, how to get back

Gabby Giammalva

Junior Bella Capaculli rests her head on her hand while doing chemistry work on her chrome book. One major concern with students going back full time is their ability to focus on work for long periods of time.

After not having a traditional school week for almost a year students, teachers and students are worrying about the rigorousness students will face going back to full-time in-person learning.
“Though getting on a better schedule will be good, the amount of school work I could be getting going back is stressing me out already,” junior Ella Harrison said.
There are many things students and teachers are concerned about considering students’ work and effort when they return for full-time in-person learning. One thing many students are worried about is their grades. They are concerned with the amount and difficulty of the work being more than they have had to handle this year.
“I am worried about my grades because I won’t have as much time to put into each assignment compared to what I do online,” Harrison said.
While some students do benefit from the online format, getting back to a “normal” school setting can be beneficial for many students’ grades.
“I think the grades will be better. In my experience, students complete more assignments and better understand the material the more we are in the building. There are so many distractions at home and a lot of the asynchronous work was not completed,” World History teacher Scott Ballelli said.
Though going back full time obviously means more work in some classes, teachers do not think it is something students should worry about.
“The amount of work will change in the sense that students should have very little to no homework as we will be doing almost everything in class. We will be going quicker through the materials, given we are seeing students five times a week instead of two times. Asynchronous work will now just be in classwork,” Ballelli said.
In Biology teacher Karie Cole’s classes, the amount of work will not change but the type of work kids will be doing is something they may not be used to.
“The amount of work will not change for my class, it will just change in how it is presented and what activities are being done. I think students will have less independent work time so they will have to adjust to going back to this type of learning,” Cole said.
Another big concern many students have is their ability to get back into a constant daily schedule that many haven’t had in almost a year.
“I think it will be really hard for some kids to get their sleep schedules back on track. I think it will also be more difficult to keep the kiddos motivated,” Cole said.
Coming back after such a long break is one of the major concerns when considering students’ rigorousness.
“Being able to adjust and handle the workload of having something new or continuing a lesson every day might take some time to get used to,” Ballelli said.
Another major concern is students having to concentrate for longer periods of time and more often than they would during hybrid learning.
“I think students definitely struggle with attention when classes are long and I think they are going to struggle even more because they are not used to being here full time,” Cole said.
While students are not as used to being in school for as long as they will be in the next few weeks they were able to do it in the past.
“I think there will be an adjustment period. Probably going to have some tired students on Tuesdays and Wednesdays after not having to get up early on consecutive days for a while,” Ballelli said.
Though it will come with challenges and may take a while to get used to students will eventually get used to the rigorousness that comes with being in a classroom five days a week.