How school spirit can affect our performance

Kendyl Stelter

Students hanging out and laughing together help to establish a positive school culture, allowing for more student success.

During homecoming week, many people wonder why high schools have events such as a dance, spirit days, and competitions throughout the student body; it’s because school spirit is beneficial for everyone involved.
“I’ve always been pretty involved in our school events but now that it’s my senior year, I’ve been trying to get involved in everything I possibly can,” senior Miah Dmytrusz said. “Being involved makes me feel more excited to go to school, just knowing that I have something to look forward to everyday.”
According to the Connecticut Association of Schools, students who are involved in school and have school spirit are more likely to perform better academically, be more socially engaged with their peers, and be happier in general.
“I’ve definitely noticed a difference in my motivation at school,” senior Mariyah Reiman said. “In the beginning of the year during homecoming and football season, I’m usually more excited to be here compared to the end of the year when it’s a struggle to get out of bed every day.”
Reiman is not the only person who has made that connection, according to a survey done by Harris Poll, 92% out of 150 high school principals feel that high school spirit is connected to student achievement.
“As a principal, obviously I think learning is the number one thing but I really believe a homecoming and winter spirit week here at Roosevelt, are a special part of who we are. It brings us together as a community and helps us show our spirit. I know when I’ve seen these pep assemblies, I couldn’t be more proud of the way our kids act,” Principal Ben Reynolds said.
School spirit and getting involved in school activities can also help students step out of their comfort zone, become more outgoing, and develop communication skills that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives.
“I used to be pretty quiet but I’ve noticed since I started getting more involved and doing more things at school, I’ve made more friends and I’ve been more comfortable talking to teachers because I’ve gotten used to it,” Dmytrusz said.
Dmytrusz believes that participating in school activities has immensely helped her socially and is excited to complete her final year while having fun.
“I want my last year of high school to be the best, I don’t want to graduate and regret all of the things that I didn’t do,” Dmytrusz said.
When the RHS student body is involved in spirit events, it demonstrates a contagious passion for bear pride and makes high school more enjoyable for students.