Tennis Tackles States

Tennis Team celebrates a victory at Regionals.

Aubrey Migoski, Reporter
Winning both Leagues and Regionals, the Division 2, Region 10 Roosevelt Varsity Tennis team, finished the season placing 11th at States on October 15 and 16, at Holland Christian High School and Hope College.
“As a team we have to be consistent, win as many matches as we can [and do] our best for each and every match,” senior 3 doubles Josh Mills said.
Roosevelt claimed the Downriver League title with a 5-3 win over Trenton on October 5th. The 1 Doubles pair senior Alex Moon and junior Cole Beaubien helped the bears achieve the win by adding more points to the score.
“I try to keep a positive mindset… and I always try my best and have a good outcome,” Moon said.
On October 7 at the regionals match at Allen Park High School, the Roosevelt players achieved another victory, with a total of 28 points, to move onto States. With the help of 3 Doubles of senior Josh Mills and junior Gavin Daum as well as 4 singles sophomore Emmett Oswald, the Bears held strong.
The team won six of eight championships when the doubles matches took place at Carlson, and singles matches took place at Riverview.
“I just [tried] my hardest because I know that States [was] one of my last matches ever,” Moon said.
The team placed 11th at States to finish the season off.
“We did alright, we had some wins and some losses,” Oswald said.
Oswald played in the Quarter Final along with his teammates; 2 doubles senior Colton Winn and junior Tom Lipp, and 4 doubles junior Aiden Kuzma and sophomore Daniel Hickey.
“[The season went] by really fast, and it [was] a lot of fun, and I kind of miss it already,” Moon said.
(Statistics obtained from thenewsherald.com)