DECA districts sees drastic changes

Elissa Cumiskey

Wyandotte DECA’s executive board posing for a photo at their recent leadership conference in Boston, Massachutes.

In light of new Covid-19 restrictions the date and location of DECA districts has been changed to January 22 at Lincoln Park High School.
“We typically attend districts in December or early January at Eastern Michigan University or Wayne County Community College but because of Covid restrictions, the date and location ended up changing at the last minute,” DECA advisor Elissa Cumiskey said.
The district conference was originally set to be held at Wayne County Community College on December 15. The college recently informed DECA’s district eight coordinator that they could only host 200 students due to their Covid restrictions. There are about 800 students set to attend the district eight conference, making it impossible to accommodate this change.
“Our options were to either host the conference at a high school in the district or host the conference virtually again which no one wanted to do,” Wyandotte DECA president senior Reese Blackledge said.
Due to winter sports events, Lincoln Park was the only high school in the district that had the ability to host the conference within the month of January.
“I’m grateful that districts is finally in person again; however, I feel like we’re missing out on the experience of skipping school for a day and spending it at a college,” Wyandotte DECA executive board member senior Francesca Giammalva said. “I’m also not looking forward to waking up early on the weekend.”
The district conference is typically held on a weekday but due to conflicting events, Lincoln Park High School is hosting the conference on a Saturday.
“Because of the conference being held on a Saturday, we’ve lost several participants,” Cumiskey said. “It’s difficult to convince teenagers to wake up early or cancel their weekend plans.”
Despite the changes and setbacks, Cumiskey is confident that Wyandotte DECA will perform at their typical standard of district medalists.