Hoops, They Did it Again

Girls basketball starting season under new leadership

Wy-Hi Yearbook

Returning varsity player Cortney Olson passes the ball to a nearby teammate.

The girl’s varsity basketball team is preparing for the new season with a new team, and new coaches.
“[The team] is looking pretty solid right now. The girls have been doing a lot of conditioning, and I think we are going to play pretty hard and pretty fast this year,” senior team manager Kamerin Maddix said.
This past week, the girls have been participating in “hell week” which is a method of conditioning hard for the upcoming season.
“Right now, we are doing morning workouts from 6:30am to 7:30am, Wednesday’s we have lift from 4:15pm to 5:15pm, then every day we have practice from 5:30 to 7:30,” freshman Hannah Parish said.
Parish was the only Freshman to make varsity this season.
“I am excited to grow some bonds with the older girls because being a freshman on varsity is big,” Parish said.
According to senior Cortney Olson, the coaching style is different from previous years; they are a lot more focused on conditioning the team well and working hard for the rest of the season to pull together.
“The coaches here are a lot harder on you and they teach you a lot of the fundamentals,” Parish said. “In middle school, it is kind of just play and have fun.”
As a freshman, Parish only has middle school to compare things to, but Olson has seen the varsity basketball team before and feels good about this group.
“I think our team chemistry is really good this year. I feel like we all get along pretty well and we all help each other out,” Olson said.
The girls had a scrimmage on Saturday, November 20, to kick start their season. The team lost to Livonia Franklin and Airport.
“I think we are pretty fast players. We are good learners and very coachable so we can really listen to what the coaches are saying and take it from there,” Maddix said.
The team has high hopes early in the season, but according to Parish and Olson, Allen Park and Trenton may be difficult teams to face.
The team is looking forward to having their first game on November 30, against Huron, at 6:00pm.