The real truth on school shootings in the U.S.

Fair use

Teens fighting against gun violence in 2019 in the wake of the Parkland, FL school shooting

Between the years of 2009 and 2018 there were 288 school shootings in the U.S. which was five times as many as there were in every single other country combined, according to reporters Chip Grabow and Lisa Rosehas of the CNN news staff.
According to the article called “10 Years. 180 School Shootings. 356 Victims” published on CNN, there were 200,000 students during the years 2009 to 2019that have had to go through a traumatic experience of having an active school shooter present in their school day, between those students and those years there were 110 school shooting fatalities.
The U.S. still does not clearly define what qualifies as a school shooting. It can range from an active shooter present during a school day to a small fight in a school’s parking lot or sporting event.
The United States is the only country where school shootings are a regular occurrence. The next country with the largest amount of shootings between 2009 and 2018 is Mexico with eight, then South Africa with six, India with five, Pakistan and Nigeria both with four, Afghanistan with three, France, Canada, and Brazil with two. Every other country in the world has had one or no school shootings within those years according to the article called “10 Years. 180 School Shootings. 356 Victims.”
According to reporter Mark Keierleber of “The 74” , school shooter drills are only really practiced in the United States; they are also ineffective and can harm students’ mental health by showing them that an active shooter going into the building is the reality for the time we live in.
According to an article on Education week titled “School Shootings This Year: How many and where”, from 2018 until December 2021 there have been a total of 81 school shootings in the U.S., which brings the total from 288 to 369 since 2009.
Furthermore, according to that article, the most recent shooting was not even Oxford High School, there was a shooting on December 8 in Kansas City, Missouri in which two teens were shot and injured in a school parking lot during a high school basketball game. Oxford, however, is the deadliest since Parkland in 2018.
According to an article called “Gun fire on school grounds in the United States”, the U.S. didn’t start looking for an understanding as to why so many teens are affected by this until 2013.
According to Itzel Giron, a staff reporter from “The Prospector” school shootings for teens have become a norm for students in the U.S. to hear about.
Since 1999 there have been about 256,000 students exposed to gun violence, and there are studies that prove that this is not a rare occurrence in the U.S.
According to Giron there is March for our Lives which is an organization where students have come together to raise awareness on gun violence and how its affected students everyday. There is also the “Sandy Hook promise” and “Protecting our Schools”, these are both organizations to inform people on the importance of school shootings and how they need to be stopped. Additionally, #NeverAgain is a group formed by students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas to help pass gun reform in the United States.

A study was done in 2018, according to Nikkie Graf a reporter from “Pew Research” in which they surveyed students across the country about how they feel regarding school shootings,the results came back with 57% of students saying they were worried about the possibility of a shooting happening at their school and one in every four of those students said they are extremely worried. Only 13% of students said they were not worried at all.
The fear is also based on gender, with 64% of females saying they are very worried, only 51% of males say they are worried. The last study was on race, only 51% of white teens say they are worried about this while 64% of non-white teens say they are worried.
The political differences of opinion in the United States also came into light when the “large partisan gaps in views on banning assault-style weapons and allowing teachers to carry guns” study showed that 78% of republicans would like teachers and or staff to be able to carry a gun in school, while just 24% of democrats agree to this.
Democrats are also way more likely to agree that banning assault-style weapons in general would at least be somewhat effective. According to Graf 81% of democrats agree with this while only 35% of Republicans do. A
This country has a higher chance of school shootings than any other country in the world, if only the country could come together and put a stop to it.