School shooting 2018 to 2021

The impact Parkland, FL school shooting had on America

Phil Roeder Provided by flicker

Students participating in a walk out to call action against gun violence.

On February 14, 2018, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz opened fire on students and staff at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, killing 17 people and injuring 17 others. Cruz plead guilty to 17 counts of premeditated murder and 17 counts of attempted murder.
According to The Washington Post, one year later after the shooting there had been more than 300 incidents within school systems, leaving more than 300 people dead and more than 1,300 wounded.
Following the attack the Parkland school district provided grief counseling to students and their families. Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi said that the fees of funerals and counseling would be paid for by the state.
But in comparison to the recent shooting at Oxford High school in Michigan they are taking donations to help with expenses.
School principal Ty Thompson emphasized that the first week back would be focused on healing, with classes ending at 11:40 a.m and a heavy police presence would be implemented.
On February 15, 2018, police presence was increased at schools in at least two counties in Florida in response to the shooting.
With the recent shooting at Oxford the amount of threats at Michigan school have aroused and several schools across Southeast Michigan are increasing police presence or temporarily closing their buildings as they deal with their own threats.
On February 16, 2018, Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie announced that the building where the shooting took place would be demolished and on October 9, 2020 a replacement building was opened. The building where the shooting took place would not be demolished until the trial of Cruz is over, as it has been declared a crime scene.
Compared to the recent incident at Oxford all events scheduled at the school have been canceled until further notice. But their goal is to keep school in session unless conditions pose a significant risk to students.
After the shooting, Stoneman Douglas High School students said that law enforcement could have approached the situation differently.
As reported by the New York Times, a video showed that a sheriff’s deputy assigned to the school did not enter the building as the attack unfolded. Seven other deputies remained outside as gunshots rang out, a state commission found, and another officer prevented paramedics from entering.
With the Oxford incident, the police received more than a hundred 911 calls that came in to dispatch. The shooter fired at least a dozen shots before he was taken into custody.
“Deputies responded and within five minutes had the suspect in custody,” Oakland County Undersheriff Michael McCabe said. “He did not cause any problems. He gave the weapon up. He didn’t have the weapon on him at the time.”
The New York Times also stated that months after the shooting Florida’s Republican governor, Ron DeSantis, suspended Sheriff Scott Israel for his “neglect of duty” and “incompetence”. Mr. Israel, who is a Democrat and a vocal opponent of the National Rifle Association, continues to insist that the criticism of him is politically motivated and that “there was no wrongdoing on my part”. Multiple deputies have also been suspended, and one ultimately resigned.
The students of Douglas High – lead by Alfonso Calderon, Sarah Chadwick, Jaclyn Corin, Ryan Deitsch, X [Emma] González, David Hogg, Cameron Kasky, and Alex Windstarted created a movement called “never again”. “Never Again” is an American student-led political action committee for gun control that advocates for tighter regulations to prevent gun violence. The organization is also known by the Twitter hashtags #NeverAgain, and #EnoughIsEnough.
“Our mission is to empower the young people of the world to create meaningful and lasting change through their activism,” the website Neveragain.com said.
The organization staged protests demanding legislative action to be taken to prevent similar shootings in the future and has vocally condemned U.S. lawmakers who have received political contributions from the National Rifle Association (NRA). It was credited in The Washington Post as winning a “stunning victory” against the NRA in the Florida legislature in March 2018 when both houses voted for various gun control measures. The law increased funding for school security and raised the required age to buy a gun from 18 to 21.
“A month after the Parkland shooting, thousands of students walked out of their classroom for 17 minutes to memorialize the Marjory Stoneman Douglas victims. It was one of the largest student demonstrations in U.S. history. Ten days later, hundreds of thousands of people demonstrated in cities across the globe as part of The March of Our Lives,” the website The Guardian said.
As the results of the walk out theguardian.com stated that the U.S. Department of Justice moved to ban bump stocks, firearm accessories used to mimic automatic fire.
CNN stated that since Parkland, by CNN’s count, there have been at least 31 incidents at K-12 schools in the United States in which someone was injured by a firearm. That averages out to a shooting every 11.8 days.
“School shooting has become a cultural thing in the United States,” President of Threat Suppression Mike Clumpner said in an interview with CNN.
But there is still hope to prevent school shootings across the world and there are many ways they could be prevented.
The local response to the Oxford community was impactful. With our very own Wyandotte Roosevelt student council holding a miracle minute fundraiser raising over two thousand dollars.