Local communities honor Oxford shooting victims

Ali Norris

Senior student council member Jacalyn Kovesdi counts money after the miracle minute held at RHS on Tuesday December 7.

In response to the shooting at Oxford High School on November 30, many local communities have made an effort to honor the victims in multiple ways.
“I was really proud of what we did as a community to do something to honor the four students who lost their lives,” senior student council member Jacalyn Kovesdi said.
The student council of Roosevelt High School organized a four minute moment of silence to honor the four Oxford students who lost their lives.
“I think the moment of silence was effective because it made the situation more real for our student body. The four minutes gave students time to really think about what happened,” Kovesdi said.
Student council’s moment of silence was followed by a miracle minute in which over two thousand dollars was raised for Oxford Community Memorial and Victims Fund.
“I feel glad that my little contribution did something to help a local community in such a rough time,” Kovesdi said.
Riverview Community High School also held a moment of silence to honor the victims. The moment of silence lasted one minute long and was held on Friday, December 3.
“I enjoyed the moment of silence my school did, though it wasn’t a huge event it was our small way of recognising that something did happen,” RCHS sophomore Nora Fradenburgh said.
On the same Friday, RCHS also had an early dismissal, allowing students ten minutes to reflect on what happened.
“While I do not think the early dismissal was the most effective way of honoring what happened, I understand we did what we could as a community to honor the victims,” Frandeburgh said.
Flat Rock High School honored the four victims at their varsity girls basketball game held on December 3. At the game, a chair was set aside for each student who lost their life; the chairs displayed each victim’s name along with representations of what they had been involved in.
“Lady Ram McKenna Williams tied blue and gold balloons to the bench chairs tonight and set aside four chairs meant to honor the @oxford_athletics community members and pay tribute to Tate, Hana, Madisyn, and Justin,” Flat Rock Athletics wrote on Instagram.
Divine Child High School offered a day of solidarity with Oxford High School on December 3.
“A morning prayer service was offered and students were invited to sign a banner at lunches as a visual reminder of our prayers and support for the Oxford High School community,” Divine Child Catholic School wrote on Facebook.
The victims of the Oxford shooting were also honored by two University of Michigan athletics teams. The University of Michigan’s women’s basketball team added a patch with four blue hearts and the initials of Hana St. Juliana to their uniforms for the game held on December 12.
“We have added this #oxfordstrong patch to our jerseys for tomorrow’s game to pay tribute to Hana St. Juliana, who wore No. 52 for Oxford women’s basketball,” University of Michigan women’s basketball wrote on Instagram.
The University of Michigan Football team honored the four victims in multiple ways during their Big Ten title game on December 4.
“When Aidan came to me, and it was Aidan that came to me,” University of Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh stated in a press conference. “And wanted to dedicate the game to Tate Myre, I said, ‘Yes. Let’s do that.’”
The family of Tate Myre was brought onto the field to be honored and participate in the coin toss before the game. The team also wore patches on their uniforms that had Myre’s initials and four blue hearts, one for each victim.
“We wanted to play for 42,” Michigan center Andrew Vastardis said (via the Detroit News). “And all those that tragically lost their lives in that community.”
The University of Michigan team also unintentionally honored Myre by scoring 42 points, Myre’s football number, during the Big Ten championship game.
“God works in mysterious ways. Man, it’s crazy,” University of Michigan defensive end Aiden Hutchinson stated in a press conference.
Michigan was not the only football team to honor the Oxford victims, the Lions also dedicated their game on December 5.
“This game ball goes to the entire Oxford community,” Lions head coach Dan Campbell said in a press conference. “All those who will never be forgotten, they’re in our hearts and in our prayers.”
The Lions also asked for a moment of silence before the game, and wore Oxford High shirts during warm ups. Both the lions and their competitors the Minnesota Vikings wore an Oxford “O” decal on the back of their helmets to honor the victims of the shooting.
“I want us to not forget these names: Madisyn Baldwin, Hana St. Juliana, Justin Shilling, Tate Myre, Phoebe Arthur, John Asciutto, Riley Franz, Elijah Mueller, Kylie Ossege, Aiden Watson and Molly Darnell, who’s a teacher,” Campell said in a press conference after the game.
Lions safety Jalen Elliot walked into Ford Field wearing his jersey, No. 42 ,with Myre’s name replacing his own on the back.