Oxford school shooting hits closer to home for one RHS student’s family

Fair Use Image

This is a picture taken outside the Oxford high school during the winter time. This Image is to show what C. Miconi’s school looks like to help picture where this tragedy occurred.

Throughout Michigan, many people have come together to show their sympathy and cater to the ones who have suffered and were lost in the Oxford High School shooting that occurred on Tuesday, November 30. Many people have heard details about this tragedy on the news, but few have been able to talk to the students and parents who have been deeply affected by this adversity.
Junior, Harmony Bedikian was personally affected by this catestophy since her cousin is one of the students at Oxford High School that experienced that day first hand.
“My first thought that came to mind was that this did not just happen to somebody that I know. Like there was no way it happened to somebody who is so close to me,” Bedikian said.
Bedikian found out about the shooting at Oxford the day it occured while in fifth hour, close to the same time the lockdown was still going on. She then personally talked to her cousin later in the day, along with her parents and other family members about the shooting at the high school. Even though she was able to talk to her cousin, Bedikian is still unsure of how this tragedy will overall affect her cousin.
“I don’t necessarily know how much it’s affecting him. I hope not a lot. It’s a scary situation and a hard thing,” Bedikian said. “It is probably going to be the scariest day of his life.”
Junior at Oxford High School and Bedikian’s cousin, Chuck Miconi, was in his fifth hour class that day when he heard the announcement about an intruder walking the halls with a firearm.
C. Miconi said that as soon as he heard the announcement go off about the lockdown, his first reaction was to find safety. He began to run to the back of the class while putting down the desks for shelter as his teacher locked the door.
“We tried to find a safe place,” C. Miconi said. “My first reaction was to just find safety.”
C. Miconi said that there was no news on social media warning about the shooting and teachers, as well, were not aware of the threats, but he does know that there was a meeting held that day by the staff at Oxford. He says that his class waited until the intruder was caught then had the police escort them out of the building. Once safe, C. Miconi then went to Meijer where his friends, parents, and other classmates were told to go after being safely out of the building.
“We waited till he was caught and the cops escorted us,” C. Miconi said. “I went to Meijer where everyone met up.”
For many parents, getting a phone call that there is an active shooter in their child’s school can be their worst nightmare. For C. Miconi’s parent, Stephanie Miconi, who is also a teacher in the Oxford district, unfortunately had to experience this type of pain and worry. She explained that she had got a call from her friend while eating lunch at her work. She texted her friend back and immediately her friend had called her once again. While on the phone, he told her that there was an active shooter at her son’s school.
“I thought to myself, no way… this is just a practice ALICE lockdown drill. A friend I was sitting with texted her friend that works at the high school and that friend said ‘I cant text or talk… we are in lockdown because there is an active shooter in our building.’ Then I knew… I knew it was serious and my chest started to pound. Like I was having a heart attack,” S. Miconi said.
She immediately texted her son, and after a couple minutes she was relieved that he was able to respond back to her and tell her that he was safe. S. Miconi explained that she instantly started to cry, but had to keep a strong face for her younger students that she was teaching while the high school was in lockdown. She texted her husband to go to Meijer immediately in order to pick up their son. She was soon relieved once her husband was able to send a picture of her son safely in the car.
“I felt so relieved and happy that Chuck was safe. If I was the one that went to Meijer to see all those kids I don’t think I could have handled that. I have taught most of those kids and I couldn’t have imagined what that must have looked like. And it broke my heart,” S. Miconi said.
After C. Miconi was safe at home, he watched the news to see what was happening at his school after all the students were escorted out of the building. S. Miconi explained that her principal allowed her to leave for the day and she went home to her son.
Since talking about the tragedy that has completely affected all of her family, Bedikian was worried that something like this could actually happen at her school as well.
“I definitely thought it could have been a possibility. You never think it could be somebody close to you or yourself. But it happened, and we spend five days a week here. So there’s more of a chance that it happens here than it happening when I’m at home,” Bedikian said.
In order to be prepared in case an occurrence like this happens again, Bedikian says that schools need to focus on teaching students about ALICE training. Knowing procedures like these are able to save lives and help students feel more safe with a well known plan in place. Bedikian also explains that schools need to include how to stay calm and collected while in a real lockdown drill since tragedies like these call for quick thinking.
“I definitely think we need to do another training. I haven’t had one since I was a freshman. So I know that the freshmen and sophomores haven’t had one here and with these types of situations you can never be too prepared, even if it’s just a couple times a year,” Bedikian said.
Bedikian explains how she cannot imagine what the families that were affected by the Oxford shooting are going through. For her cousin, C. Miconi said that he expects to be back in school in January, since their whole community has been in despair and that it will take a lot for everyone to feel safe again. For S. Miconi, she is still devastated and questions whether they will ever be able to get past this tragedy.
“I have taught in this district for 23 years. We have lived in Oxford for 18 years. I am a parent of three boys who have attended and still attend Oxford school districts.” S. Miconi said. “I have attended three funerals in the past four days of students that I have taught. Never in a million years would I have imagined this would happen in our community. Not our sleepy little town of Oxford.”