Trina Rooney Taking on Tasks

Rooney points to the bones of the foot and prepares students for the bone test the following day.

Trina Rooney manages her time being the teacher of health occupations, volunteering, and being a mother, while her main objective is to help others.
According to Rooney, she lives her life in the present and goes day by day in order to finish her tasks efficiently.
“I depend on a calendar and I color coordinate,” Rooney said. “Then I just look and see okay, what is next? What do I have to do today? What do I have to fit in? And I kind of just go along with that.”
Rooney graduated from Eastern Michigan University and has been a part of the district as an Athletic trainer since 1998, until 2003, and started teaching health science in 2002.
As Rooney takes on the health occupations program comprising thirteen total districts, she works past office hours to draw diagrams, keep up with grades, and plan for future class activities. She also is sure to attend conferences to maintain new medical knowledge for her students.
“She is an overachiever because she puts a lot of extra time and effort into the class,” junior first year health occupations student Teresita Vazquez said.
According to Rooney, she would get to school before eight in the morning and leave around six to seven at night most days. On Fridays, it is possible she would leave work between nine and eleven and will stay up grading work until one.
Along with the class itself, she completes nursing certificates for second-year students, sets undergraduates up for college, and over sees what it takes to go into the medical field.
“She set us up for second-year by making sure we were all grasping onto the content,” senior Alyssa Delong said. “She made sure each student was comfortable with the knowledge that we gained so we would be prepared for the hospital setting.”
Rooney also takes the time to write recommendation letters for students in order to build strong futures.
“I write a lot of letters of recommendation for both current and former students,” Rooney said. “So, if they want to go beyond just a bachelor’s and go into a specialized program, then they need a letter of recommendation [which will] come back to me too.”
The Downriver Career and Technical Consortium (DCTC) sends students from nine other districts over to Wyandotte’s program to be able to enroll in the course, and Rooney is the only teacher within these districts that teaches the health occupations class.
“We also have districts like Dearborn and Lincoln Park that will come to our program and they just communicate and have a contract directly with Wyandotte schools,” Rooney said.
Apart from the health program, Rooney fills in for athletic training at Trenton on a volunteer basis for all of her kid’s sports and volunteers her time for sports-med whenever a coach calls her to the site.
“I know about sports injuries and stuff … [so] I try to take time to go and help them out when I can,” Rooney said.
Along with volunteering, Rooney participated in the “adopt a family” program during the holiday season. She bought and wrapped Christmas gifts, along with her students, for families that may not be able to afford them.
She also fundraises money to go to certain programs that need it and volunteers for little things along the way like working concessions at a basketball game.
“I bite off more than I can chew like trying to fit everything in every day. There is just not enough time in a day,” Rooney said.
According to Rooney, she has not been able to go to the gym as much this school year. The downside of the gym is that she may feel behind in her work if she is at the gym instead.
According to her first and second-year students, Rooney is a great inspiration and a role model.
“She is a hardworking and passionate person because she will go the extra mile to make sure we are all understanding what we learn and she cares for each and every student,” Delong said.
She puts others before herself and the maintenance of three kids, Ethan, Ashton, and Gavin, is a clear example. Rooney has a husband but depends on herself to cook, clean, and take care of her children’s needs before her own.
“I am usually trying to prepare meals and stuff for the next day and doing laundry when I get home from work,” Rooney said. “All my kids are involved in athletics, so usually Saturday has some type of sporting event, and Sundays are reserved for shopping, cleaning, and laundry.”
Prioritizing tasks take dedication, and Rooney finds motivation to stand out and go above and beyond to complete her duties.
“I think part of [my skills] have to do with just the way I was raised. I was raised to always do 100% and to try to always be my best. If you are going to do something, do it right or don’t do it at all. Saying that, I put my all into everything,” Rooney said.
Being a teacher for the Health Occupations program, a mother to three sons, a trainer, and an active volunteer proves that Rooney feels full helping others.
“I like to help people so I think it is the gratification of seeing former students be successful, or seeing a student do well on a test, or seeing my kids, or being able to help out an athlete you know, by taping them and getting them back,” Rooney said. “I think it is the gratification that keeps me motivated to want to keep doing what I do because I feel useful. I feel like I am giving back and that makes me feel the best as a person is when I feel like I am helping others.”