Students at RHS feel the effects of senioritis

When seniors enter the last semester of high school, many lose motivation, become overpowered with senioritis

Grace Zalewski

Senior Kailyn Franz shows how senioritis affects her learning during school. She becomes tired while in her classes, which makes Franz procrastinate more and fall behind on her school work.

Grace Zalewski, Design Editor

As seniors at RHS enter the last semester of their high school experience, many students are starting to feel the effects and consequences of senioritis. According to senior Kailyn Franz, this year she has felt less motivated with coming to school, compared to her freshman year when she was eager to attend school and keep up with her grades. She explains that her work ethic has become worse from the lack of motivation and procrastination.
“I think I had more motivation freshman year and took advanced classes, but for senior year we had the option to take more electives,” Franz said.
Senior Lucas Pratt explains he has similar feelings toward school as Franz does, now that he is almost done with high school. Pratt says he lost his excitement and is more careless with his grades, compared to freshman year when he was taking advanced classes. He explains his work ethic “does not exist anymore” due to becoming lazy and anxious about his future.
“I used to want all A’s but now I just want to at least pass my classes,” Pratt said. “Because now I give little to no effort and I am always late, and I really just think about college now.”
Although senioritis is common for students to get during their last semester of high school, senior Nina Steffin still manages to keep her motivation with school as well as maintain her high grades. In order to keep up with her grades, Steffin says staying organized, dedicated, and focused has helped her the most to stay on track with her classes.
“I think because I don’t get as much school work now and balanced out having hard and easy classes to enjoy my senior year, it’s been easier to keep up with my classes,” Steffin said.
Even though Steffin is still a hard worker in school, she says that there are still times when she becomes lazy with her work and feels the effects of senioritis. Yet, she still makes sure that all her work is done and tries to find the motivation to study in order to stay on top of her classes.
“I definitely get lazy sometimes, especially studying for tests and big projects. I usually will study the night before or sometimes even the day of the test at school,” Steffin said.
Since these past school years have been affected by COVID-19, math teacher George Filipiak has seen a difference in seniors’ attitudes towards school. He explains that because students had to adapt to being online and went hybrid last year, his students look forward to going to school since they missed out on high school experiences. However, because of the WAVE option, Filipiak has seen a lot of seniors leave to go online with one of the reasons being students experiencing senioritis.
“This year, I think the option of going to the WAVE program, second semester, has really taken out a lot of kids that might not have come to school or might have gotten really bad cases of senioritis,” Filipiak said.
Although it can be hard to make sure seniors stay on task in their final semester of high school, Filipiak says that his teaching is not affected by students experiencing senioritis. He has learned to adapt to how students learn best, while still trying to hold them accountable for any missing work.
“I kind of learned to roll with the flow. But, as far as still trying to make them accountable for deadlines and doing things they are gonna have to do whether they go to college, or they go to work, so I try not to slack off too much with those things,” Filipiak said.
Filipiak thinks that the reason why it has become ordinary for seniors to be affected by senioritis is from having their future plans as a priority as well as graduation. He explains that a lot of his students already have their college picked out and are planning their future goals, which leaves not as much room to think about their classes and their final semester of high school.
“I think they’re mainly set on graduation because a lot of them are already set with college selections and have their career choice planned out,” Filipiak said. “And at a point, your second semester may or may not mean a lot to those goals and it doesn’t really count towards anything for you.”
Similar to Filipiak, Franz, Pratt, and Steffin all have similar reasons for why senioritis occurs and how it could lead to consequences. Steffin shares that because seniors have more freedoms this year, students could take advantage of that opportunity and not manage their responsibilities in school. In addition to the consequences, Franz and Pratt both think that because seniors are ready to graduate and have already picked their college, these students start to not care about their classes and become lazy.
“It could be a problem because students’ grades could drop to a point they can’t graduate and it could affect their future,” Franz said.
With senioritis affecting students in high school, there could be a possibility that this can lead to becoming unmotivated in college for first-year students. Even as a senior who still manages her school work, Steffin thinks that her freshman year is going to feel overwhelming with the change in pace of classes and homework.
“I feel like even freshman year of college is going to hit me like a truck,” Steffin said. “So someone that’s not going to school a lot is probably going to be really hard for them, but at the same time it can depend on what classes you take in college.”
Despite these effects of senioritis that lead to problems in college, Franz thinks that she will be prepared and motivated for her freshman year of college. She explains that she thinks she will have more commitment because of the new school and less time to procrastinate from the bigger responsibilities that are brought on at a higher education level.
“I think it will feel like how freshman year of high school was. I will have more motivation because it’s a new school that I want to succeed in,” Franz said.
Steffin explains that setting small goals everyday and keeping up with going to school can help students who are suffering from senioritis stay on track. As for Filipiak, he shares that even though senioritis can be hard to get rid of during the last semester of high school, he knows his students will be ready for their future and keep up in college.
“I think a lot of these kids are good kids and I don’t think that it’ll affect them as much,” Filipiak said. “A lot of their goals have already been achieved and this semester is kind of a breather before their next phase of their life begins.”