RHS student body reflects on benefits of WAVE vs. in-person learning

Emily Miklaski

Seniors Aden Jordan and Marissa Loveberry work together on homework in the LMC.

Since the number of WAVE students doubled after the first semester, the Wy-News collected opinions and reasonings from numerous RHS students.
We posted a poll on the Wy-News Instagram, first asking “Are you currently enrolled in in-person or WAVE learning?” The results revealed that 90 percent of participants are currently attending RHS in person.
After the poll, participants had the opportunity to explain why they choose either form of learning as well as the benefits/disadvantages they’ve noticed regarding either learning method.
“I like having the ability to see my friends every day and to get involved in after-school activities,” sophomore Savannah Stewart said.
Although WAVE students are still allowed to join after-school activities at RHS, several students noted that it is easier to attend these activities when they’re already in the building. Another major reason many students choose to stay in-person is because of the variety of elective courses.
“I take three marketing classes every day and WAVE just wouldn’t be able to offer that for me,” senior Reese Blackledge said.
Along with involvement discrepancies, several students reported that their learning abilities were significantly better when in a typical classroom setting.
“I had trouble with online last year because I just get distracted too easily when I’m at home, on a computer,” sophomore Lynn Beattie said.
Other students reported that asking for help is less of a hassle when in-person learning compared to their time online in the 2020-2021 school year.
The final reason in-person students cited was that they missed so much of their high school experience, and they did not want to miss anymore.
“I chose in-person this year because it’s my senior year and I wanted to make more memories with friends,” senior Aubrey Migoski said.
With that being said, WAVE students also reported their reasoning for switching, benefits, and disadvantages they’ve come across.
“I wanted to switch to WAVE to protect my family from Covid due to health issues,” senior Mariyah Reiman said.
Applications to transfer to WAVE learning for the second semester were released around the time that the Omicron variant was at its height which plays a big role in why so many students switched to WAVE after the first semester. Reiman has noticed both benefits and disadvantages to her switch.
“A benefit I’ve noticed is that I have the freedom of when I want to do classwork,” Reiman said. “But on the other side, it can also be difficult to get in contact with a teacher when I have questions.”
Reiman stated that she’s been able to get ahead on a lot of her assignments when she understands them but her most difficult challenge is getting to her instructors for help because of the time it takes for replies as several WAVE teachers are also teaching in-person classes.
In regards to deadline freedom, freshman Kameron Craine has had a similar WAVE experience to Reiman.
“We get a lot of time to do assignments but sometimes that can just make it easier for me to want to procrastinate them,” Craine said.
In the end, the choice between WAVE and in-person learning is a personal choice between a student and their family.