Junior Samantha Cost Qualifying for New York National Meet

Junior Samantha Cost running her 800 that she qualified for in the New York National Meet

Sam

Junior Samantha Cost is a cross country and track varsity athlete with a determined mindset to be the best she can be no matter what comes her way. Cost just recently qualified for the 800 meter for the New York National Meet.
“Running is important to me as I find so much joy from it. It’s very therapeutic,” Cost said. “I find it peaceful and it gives me a chance to get outside and be active.”
Cost has done a handful of things to prepare herself for her most recent indoor track meet the 2022 LAB Midwest Winter Invite. Cross country coach Estevan Vasquez also helped her prepare.
“We both have been monitoring her foot injury from last year and adapting workouts for her to accomplish,” Vasquez said.
Indoor track plays a big part in Cost’s life, it’s helped her get better physically and prepare for her most recent meet.
“Indoor track is very important for any track and field athlete because this will help them set themselves apart from the rest of the competition,” Vasquez said. “Coming into the season well-conditioned is the key to success.”
For Cost, this meet was a huge deal, and she had specific goals going into this meet that she wanted to pursue.
“My goal going into the meet was to run under 2.21 so I could qualify for the national indoor meet out in New York,” Cost said.
Many of Cost’s close friends have learned a lot from her and look to her for inspiration, especially for running.
“Sam has always pushed me to help get better and is always there to fix what I’m doing wrong,” freshman Mercedes Dziendziel said.
Cost has made it clear that she wants to be an inspiration to others. With Cost still being a junior, she still has more room to prove that she can be.
“I would like to inspire others and to not give up,” Cost said. “In life, there will be many obstacles and setbacks, and I want to keep a positive attitude through it all.”
To Cost, indoor track is just as important to her as it is for Vasquez. It also helps her to prepare for the outdoor season.
“Indoor track prepares me for the outdoor season as it keeps me in shape,” Cost said. “With the meets, I occasionally go to, I’m able to still compete and get an idea of where my times are.”
Vasquez has many goals for Cost that he hopes and has no doubts she can achieve and be the best she can be.
“One of the many goals that I have for Cost is to continue to strive to the best and to crush some PR’s this season in the 800m, 1600m, and 3200m,” Vasquez said. “My goals for her are endless.”
For Cost, her coaches have played a really big role in her life and are very supportive of her and what she wants to do.
“My coaches are very supportive as they have coached me through my best and worst moments,” Cost said. “They see my potential and believe in me, they push me to work hard and become the best version of myself.”
From the start, Vasquez always had a feeling that Cost would succeed and be a spectacular runner.
“From the beginning, I knew Sam would be one of the best, if not the best student-athlete in school and league,” Vasquez said. “She continues to set the standard higher for track and field.”
To ensure Cost stays at her best she surrounds herself with positive and supportive people that help her be the best version of herself.
“The people around me have helped me as they push me to be the best version of myself, my teammates are some of my best friends as well all have a strong bond with each other,” Cost said. “I’m very proud of all [of] them as I watch them show up every day and put in their best effort. My teammates encourage me and are some of my best supporters.”
Vasquez has always had a thing for challenging his student-athletes, and for Cost he has made sure to challenge her plenty.
“As many student athletes know me, I love challenging them to push their limits and really strive to hit their goal,” Vasquez said. “For Sam, I constantly pushed her to stay on track with workouts, mileage, and most importantly recovery.”
Many people around Cost have stated how much she has made a difference in their life like the way Dziendziel talks about her.
“She is an awesome friend, and she is always there for you and knows how to make you laugh,” Dziendziel said.
This last meet was important for Cost to prepare mentally, especially the rush of it being such a huge meet and for what she has on the line.
“Mentally going into this meet I was very excited,” Cost said. “I love racing, the feeling of pushing your body to the limit as you fly around the reach is unlike any other feeling.”
This last meet was a very important meet for Cost to be physically ready and mentally prepared.
“Physically, I felt very ready as I am in great shape with all the running I have been doing,” Cost said. “I felt very strong this year because I am taking sports tech and have started lifting.”
Cost ended up qualifying for the New York National meet with a final time of 2:20:32 for the 800 meter which is on Sunday, March 13, 2022.
“I instantly smiled and was very excited as the feeling of reaching my goal was so rewarding,” Cost said.