Three qualify for cross-country States

Three qualify for cross-country States

On November 6, junior Sam Rankine and sophomores Sam Cost and Michael Makuch competed in the Michigan cross-country state meet at Michigan International Speedway.
“At the regional race, you had to qualify as a team with the top three going into states…to qualify individually you had to be one of the top seven runners, not including the runners that already qualified as a team,” Makuch said.
A lot goes into preparing for big meets such as states for runners to race at their best ability.
“I made sure I was drinking lots of water, getting eight hours or more hours of sleep, and eating food that would give my body energy,” Cost said.
Preparation is different for every runner, and Makuch took a different route for his process.
“I have the same routine before every meet, stretching the night before and eating something light in the morning pre-race; I love talking strategy with Mr. Ruffner and my coaches. It calms me down and helps me visualize the race,” Makuch said.
Each runner goes into the race with a seed time and place still with the hope they can improve.
“I placed pretty well, I was seeded at 95th but I ran a good race and moved up to 69th,” Rankine said.
For some runners, there is a goal of getting an all-state medal for runners in D1 schools.
“My goal is by senior year to get the all-state medal, which is the top 25 best runners out of all D1 schools,” Makuch said.
For others, their goals are different; in Rankine’s case, his goal for the season has just been met.
“The whole year, my main goal has been to make it to the state meet so this has been in my mind since the beginning of the season driving me,” Rankine said.
Unlike high school track and college cross-country, runners all run the same race, that race being one 5k.
“Cross-country is different than track because of the fact that there is usually one event, that being the 5k for high school and an 8k for college students,” Makuch said.
Before the state meet was the three most important meets for the team as a whole: leagues, pre-regionals, and regionals.
“At leagues the team took 4th, and pre-regionals the team got 4th to move us to regionals where we placed 6th,” Rankine said.
With a finish to their cross-country season, Makuch placed 56th, Cost 67th, and Rankine 69th at the state meet.