The Student News Site of Roosevelt High School

Editor’s Exchange – HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS

December 8, 2020

Features Editor Megan Harper and News/Design Editor Julia Tully Face- off on hot button issues of the moment.

Why we should celebrate Christmas earlier

The holidays are, in my opinion, the best time of year. Houses and buildings are adorned with lights and decorations, Christmas music plays on every radio station, and there’s an overall feeling of cheer in the air.

That spirit of giving and positivity is my favorite part of Christmastime, and it’s something I wish we could have year-round. I’ve seen that same spirit more than ever over the last year as we’ve fought this pandemic, and I hope that it’s something we as a society carry with us, even when COVID is less of a concern.

In the competitive, fast-paced capitalist society we’re living in, there is little time to sit and appreciate the little things in life. Exchanging gifts, sharing a meal, or simply spending quality time with family and friends are luxuries that many people cannot afford, as they spend their time working to make ends meet for their family. The holidays allow all of us a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life; a chance to relax.

A holiday focused mainly on gift-giving tends to bring out the materialistic side in all of us, and I think that’s okay. I would be lying if I said my favorite part of Christmas wasn’t giving (and receiving) gifts. Personally, it gives me an excuse to feed my shopping addiction in a positive way.

Another favorite part of the holidays for me is that they’re different for everyone. There are several different holidays being celebrated across different religions, and every family and culture has their own traditions and customs. It’s a time of joy and celebration all over the world.

Personally, I think Christmas is just superior to other holidays in every way, which is why I prefer to pretend they don’t exist and start celebrating the Christmas season right after Halloween. Thanksgiving did originate as a celebration of the colonization of America and the murder of indigenous people, after all.

The holidays can be a hard time of year for many, especially those who have lost a loved one or are facing financial troubles, and I understand the hesitation to be celebratory when times seem so dark. Fortunately, the week after Christmas comes a new year, bringing a fresh start and a glimmer of hope that things will be better in the year ahead.

For these reasons, I think people should be allowed to celebrate the holidays as early as they want. Especially in a year like this one, we should be allowed any scrap of joy we can find, and if putting up the Christmas tree on October 1 makes you happy, so be it. If you want to belt out Let It Snow when it’s a hundred degrees outside, do it. The positivity that Christmas brings should be enjoyed year-round. Who cares what others think?